Welcome to the home of the Can Do Kids!
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to always try just one more time.
- Thomas Edison
READ ACROSS THE BROOK
Our READ ACROSS THE BROOK reading incentive program has begun! This year we are on a grade level challenge to read the most pages. Each fourth grade classroom will be trying to read as many pages as possible. Make sure you do your part and READ EVERY DAY! I will be using the data from Biblionasium to keep track of your pages. REMEMBER to record your totals.
Time Required: 10-15 minutes
- Mix 1 part water with 1.5 to 2 parts cornstarch. You may wish to start with one cup of water and one and a half cups of cornstarch, then work in more cornstarch if you want a more 'solid' oobleck. It will take about 10 minutes of mixing to get nice homogeneous oobleck.
- Mix in a few drops of food coloring if you want colored oobleck.
- Oobleck is a type of non-Newtonian fluid called a dilatant.
- If you slowly lower your hand into oobleck, it will sink, but it is difficult to quickly remove your hand (without taking all the oobleck and its container with you).
- If you squeeze or punch the oobleck, the starch particles will not move out of the way quickly, so the oobleck will feel solid.
- Oobleck can be molded in a container, but when the mold is removed, the oobleck will lose its shape.
- corn starch
- food coloring (optional)
Harbingers of Spring
What are the first signs of spring? Send me your spring pictures, and we can get a peek at our own version of the first signs of spring.
Use this link to find out how your country did in the Olympics. You can also find out the events they participated in as well as the athletes that competed.
First Edition of the Indian Brook Hooter
Poems About Us
Is your child going to playing an instrument this year? Here is a link to their website.
If you have discovered that your child will be in my class for the 2013-2014 school year, please fill in the contact form below. I will send you classroom news directly to your email address. I am also asking you to share your goals and concerns about your child with me.
Indian Brook is staying green and will not be sending a printed copy of the student handbook home without a request. You can access the handbook with the link below. After reading the handbook, the signature pages need to be sent back into school. I will be sending a pink copy of the sheets home on the first day of school.
Contact me through email: firstname.lastname@example.org